Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Mango Tree, the Birds and the Water Bowl


Shifting to this small new house in the heart of the city was pleasant. Moreover, it was enchanting to see greenery everywhere. Our house is on first floor. Our downstairs neighbor has an exquisite Mango Tree. The branches and leaves of the mango tree engulf our balcony. Early morning various birds like the sparrows, pigeons, parrots, crows, woodpecker and many other birds chirp to wake me up from sleep. Each summer delicious mangoes hanging on the tree makes a picturesque view.


My family members and I would leave little food for the birds to feed on the parapet of the balcony. All problems started this summer, when I received a sms requesting me to leave a water bowl for the birds, due to the scorching heat. Every day I would fill a small water bowl with water and leave it for the birds to drink, after eating the tidbits.
Firstly, the crows then the other birds, then the pigeons and lastly the sparrows would come to drink water and after few intervals, I would change the water. I was feeling very happy about this ritual as, I thought that I am also doing something for the environment. However, all this ended when one day in the afternoon, I saw a crow dipping a dead rat in the water bowl. This made me furious. I shooed the crow away; fortunately, he took the dead rat away with him and I threw the water from the water bowl. Next day, all the birds came as per their daily routine and they had no water to drink. They were chirping and twittering but I was adamant. For two days, the birds were cheeping loudly. On the third day, I decided to place the water bowl for a short duration and was watchful for the crow. Slowly the number of birds approaching to drink water diminished.


However, the crow was equally unwavering. He would come every day at the designated time and croak. The other day I saw the crow drinking water from the potted plants or sometimes dripping water of our cooler tank.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I didnt know it was Preeti Akki , when you commented on my blog first time. Now as I had left the blog as I was lazy ;) , I couldnt follow up also. Sorry for that!

    How are Mavu and Annus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thats really amazing to know the fact and I am sure you will also love my article written here about :how much is rhinoplasty Hope so you will love to give me a visit.

    ReplyDelete