Thursday, May 27, 2010

Bitter gourd (karela)

The other evening I went to the market to fetch vegetables. The price of each vegetable was nothing less than rs.40/kg. After buying the required vegetables and muttering to my self about high inflation of the necessary commodities, I heard a poor looking vegetable seller, standing with his wares under a tree, coaxing me to buy karela. My hands were full; moreover, none of my family members really enjoyed eating them. Feeling sorry for him, I marched away. Suddenly he pleaded that the karela’s were for Rs.10/kg. I returned and asked him to repeat the price. I could not believe that the fresh looking karela’s were so economical. I was tempted to buy few but did not have enough change, so I decided to buy 1 kg. After buying the bitter gourd, I was very contented. What do I do with them I thought? I was also terrified of my mom’s wrath of seeing so many karela’s. I thought now whole week I will be eating only the bitter gourd. Once I reached home, I told my mom that the karela has been so economical and explained the situation to her. She said doesn’t matter and that it should be cut into round shape and dried in the sunlight, so that they can be preserved with salt and eaten after frying . As am typing my blog my ‘sweet’ bitter gourd are basking in the sun of summer of May.

No comments:

Post a Comment